Director, Public Affairs & Government RelationsAPPLY NOW
We are looking for a confident, passionate public affairs and government relations professional with at least 8 years’ experience to join our team. This new role is to support clients across Canada, with a focus on Federal activities. Proof is a hybrid work environment in all offices, and this role will be located in our Ottawa office.
If you like solving client challenges, building relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders and collaborating with colleagues, then you will fit right in. A public affairs and government relations team member is an integral part of the Proof Strategies team, providing day-to-day account support to a variety of clients, as well as supporting team members across the organization with ad hoc needs.
Stewarding senior-level client relationships will be an important part of your role, and we’ll look to you to seek out new ways to provide value and expand business opportunities. You are a trusted advisor who thinks strategically and considers both client and agency business objectives.
- Working with colleagues and our clients to develop and implement strategy for Public Affairs and Government Relations.
- Develop and implement strategies to help clients navigate government decisions to help create the conditions for success.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders, from within and outside of our client’s sector, about the development of legislation, regulations, and government approaches.
- Leverage communications tools to develop, write, and edit persuasive government relations and public affairs content.
- Monitor major policy and political developments that may impact our clients.
- Establish a network of contacts and build relationships with business associations, government decision-makers, influencers, and external subject matter experts.
- Ability to lead clients through Federal processes.
- Building relationships with key government officials and make direct contact with those officials as needed to support clients.
- Development of strategic plans and proposals.
- Media relations, particularly with the press galleries.
- Actively contribute to regular client status meetings and manage/maintain up-to-date client reports.
- Stay up-to-date on trends and platforms, and equipped with creativity and innovative ideas.
- Participate in business development activities with both existing clients and prospects.
- Evolve and challenge client briefs – and teams – to deliver on business and communication objectives.
- Actively participate in agency life – from social activities to mentorship and learning.
What You’ll Bring:
- Excellent team player in all circumstances.
- 8+ years of work experience in politics, the public service, public affairs, government relations, or journalism; individuals with more experience will be preferred.
- Understanding of how government functions at all levels.
- Able to register with Federal, Provincial and Municipal lobbying commissioners’ offices as required.
- High degree of professionalism in representing the organization at meetings with government officials, affiliated organizations, and the public.
- Recognition that work can entail public meetings and events on evenings or weekends.
- Recognition that some travel maybe required.
- Excellent communication, organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to move quickly to capitalize on opportunities and address issues.
- Strong written communication ability: specifically, a succinct and professional writing style.
- Business acumen and ability to work under pressure, with a sense of diplomacy.
- Strategic orientation combined with strong analytical and conceptual thinking.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and client relations.
- An understanding of the principals of stakeholder relations.
- Ability to manage budgets.
- Strong self-awareness. Seeks feedback and responds well to constructive input.
- Proficiency working in MS Office – Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint – and experience with performance management software is an asset.
What you’ll get (besides a paycheque!)
- An award-winning workplace known for living the Platinum Rule.
- A workplace committed to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A forward-thinking culture that expects and rewards curiosity, bravery and innovative thinking.
- Comprehensive health benefits from day one.
- Subsidized continuing education and frequent personal and professional development events.
- Generous vacation time as well as office closures between Christmas and New Year’s.
- Canadian, independent ownership that provides flexibility and local decision-making.
At Proof Strategies, we believe that delivering exceptional work, building trust, and having fun is the best path to a successful communications agency. Three decades of continuous annual growth has proven that philosophy.
Proof Strategies is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know. No phone inquiries, please. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Proof Strategies.